Sunday, September 13, 2009

Those were some hungry old ladys!


We had a great turn out at the August “old lady” make.

For those who couldn’t make it, this is an easy project to assemble on your own at home. All you need is a brown paper lunch sack with a square cut out from one side, a clear sandwich bag to tape inside the bag where the hole has been created and collage materials to make your old lady come to life. You can email me for step by step instructions if you’d like.


For those of you who are already in possession of a very hungry old lady, try spicing things up a bit (if you haven’t already) by having your child shout out things that they think the old lady should swallow (ie: a car, an elephant, and shopping cart), you could even tear some images out of some old magazines to feed your granny. In fact my friend Becky turned me on to a fantastic cover of the song by Peter Paul and Mary. It’s very cute, funny and somewhat unique to the original lyrics as the kids shout out what they think the woman should eat. It’s on the Peter, Paul and Mommy Too album.


Our bag is getting a little worn from overuse but I am thinking about revamping it a little as Halloween is approaching by turning our little old lady into a little old witch. Besides eating a fly and spider she might be adding newt tails, frog legs and rotten apples to her diet. Maybe she could be an elf for Christmas and eat snowflakes and pine trees?


Also, if you would like something that is a little more durable and long-lasting try laminating your animal images and using a large brown paper bag from the grocery store instead of a little sack lunch.
P.S. Sorry for the lack of images, I think I need to strap the camera to my face so I won’t forget I have it.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter loves her Old Lady. We took packing tape and covered the pieces in the tape to pseudo laminate them so they would hold up better. As you're thinking about additional ways to spin the old lady story, I remembered a book we read in a preschool class I worked with, "I Know an old Lady who swallowed a Pie". They have it in the local library if you want to check it out. It is based off of a Thanksgiving feast, and I don't think she dies in the end. - Jaymie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails