Sunday, September 26, 2010

D is for Digging Dirt


We made this Dirty D using:
Cardboard from cereal box as letter base
White construction paper and scissors
Dirt from our backyard
Glue: white Elmer's


Dirt books we like:

Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
In this book the family dog, Harry, hates taking baths so he hides the scrub brush and runs away. When he finally returns home, he is so dirty his own family doesn’t recognize him causing him to reconsider bathtime. This book was originally published in 1956 and hasn’t lost any appeal as far as we can tell.

Meet Wild Boars by Meg Rosoff, illustrated by Sophie Blackall
I’d like to recommend this book with a warning. …It was the hard backed cover’s illustration of four adorably dirty boars that caused me to snatch this book up in the library. My warning to you is that this book is irreverently comical as the reader becomes privy to the dangers of being friendly with ill-mannered, dirty, (pooping) boars. The illustrations throughout the book certainly did not displease. Personally I thought the crudeness was minor as it was embellished for silliness and as an adult, I was easily able to distinguish between intolerance for disgusting/disturbing behavior in cartoon animals from intolerance for real people who may exhibit a similar yet less exaggerated form of “bad-behavior” but while I was reading this to my children, my concern was that they would be unable to discern the same way. I suppose even more than recommend this book; I’d like to get your opinion. Have you read this book? Do you think I am being dramatic? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Also does anyone remember the book Dirty Feet by Steven Kroll, illustrated by Toni Hormann? I don’t own a copy nor does my library carry one but I remember it being one of my favorites as a kid.

(More about Project A-B-C)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails